Monday, August 24, 2009

People I Know - Celebrating Obama's commencment speech

So in honor of someone who visited me at work last night, I am remembering the first time they visited me, way back on the night of the Obama commencement speech at ASU. I will not post their name but if he or she wants to claim this story as their own, then be my guest.

First, allow me to briefly describe an old regular of mine (who I'm pretty sure isn't allowed in the store anymore because he was caught panhandling too many times. Anyway, Albert was his name. I first met him, Easter morning. I was on my lunch break picking up some Jack in the Box and he came up to me and the other college kids who had just finished a power hour. He had the bag from a box of wine in one hand and was trying to gather change in the other. He also kept insisting he was a spook in Vietnam, but the dazed look in his eye and wine on his breath didn't add much credibility to his story.

A few days later, he comes into the CVS to buy some liquor. Aaron Neville happens to be playing and he is impressed I know who Aaron Neville. (Side note: Add "I Don't Know Much" to the list of songs I hate hearing every night.)

Anyway, fast forward to the night of the commencement speech when, shortly after 2am, Albert comes in with my unidentified friend. Said friend has apparently been drunkenly discussing Obama with Albert throughout the evening and has arrived at CVS to buy him some smokes. So I ring them up, my friend laughs at how I'll remember the encounter (and Albert) so much better than him tomorrow and I joke that I'll remind him of it on facebook. That interaction may have been the unofficial beginning of what would later become this blog.

So this post is dedicated to you. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment